Setting Bind so clients don't cache resolved Domain's IP's ??

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Mon Dec 3 04:21:19 UTC 2001

At 08:22 PM 12/2/01, Simon Waters wrote:
>Anyway if we know what you are trying to achieve we can probably
>supply some ideas on how to do it. As regards browsers, some web
>browsers do their own caching - probably a bad idea - but that
>never stopped people implementing something in software in my
>experience.

It's worse than that.  W2K has a DNS Cache process that runs as a service,
so all lookups get resolved locally and never get to the local nameserver for
lookup.  If the browser already has the address it may also not look it up
again.  It is, after all a good optimization as far as the browser is
concerned.
Then it also caches already fetched images and pages if possible, saving
the download.  The saved data can be kept as long as a month locally on the
hard drive in case it gets a URL match. If you regularly go to a specific set
of Web sites this is a great timesaver.  The browser only needs to look at
the HTTP header (see the HEAD HTTP request) to decide if it needs to do
the download of the file itself or just reuse what it already has.

         Danny