DNS: anything goes?

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed May 31 00:11:02 UTC 2000

DNS is just a database; as long as the names stay within the syntactic
guidelines, they are "allowed". Blaming DNS for allowing malicious MX (or
whatever) records to be advertised is like blaming a piece of paper because
someone scrawled something vulgar and/or hateful on it. If some miscreant
points their MX record at 127.0.0.1, then good mail software should simply
ignore that MX record as if it never existed, since it is "obviously" bogus.
If said miscreant points their MX record at some poor schmuck with which they
have no relationship or permission, then that's a matter between the
perpetrator and the targeted entity: my non-lawyer mind is thinking this might
be construable as some form of Conversion (i.e. using someone else's property
without their permission but falling short of physical incursion which would
otherwise be Trespass) or Nuisance (i.e. the deliberate creation of an
aberrant condition which degrades other people's peaceful enjoyment and/or
quality of life). In neither case is it something that "DNS" or the
BIND software should be trying to enforce, IMO.

- Kevin