DNS Config

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Tue May 30 18:58:59 UTC 2000

In article <8h0c34$4ne$1 at nnrp1.deja.com>,  <epelletier at circle.com> wrote:
>Warning: This may be a stupid question.
>
>I've setup a nameserver that has primarily been used internally on our
>LAN. However, it now may be accessed from the externally as well.
>
>I would like to know if there is a way for certain records to resolve
>differently depending on whether or not it's accessed internally or
>externally.

BIND doesn't currently provide a way to do this, unless the machine has
multiple addresses and you have the internal users querying a different
address than the external users.  In the latter case, you can run multiple
instances of named and configure them to listen on different addresses and
use different zone files.

BIND 9 is expected to include a feature called "views" that I think will
allow byou to conditionalize based on client addresses.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Burlington, MA