Sendmail and DNS on same server - Newbie question

Bob Vance BVance at sbm.com
Tue May 30 17:20:56 UTC 2000

>This is also what happens if you don't have any "nameserver" lines at
>all in the resolv.conf.

This is behavior that I see on HP-UX and expected on Linux, as well.

However, with my RH 6.1, I noticed that this did *not* work for the
pre-linked network clients, like 'ping' and 'telnet' ('nslookup' *did*
work however, which is reasonable, since it doesn't use the resolver
libraries).

To make clients use the local nameserver, I had to add a "local"
nameserver line to resolv.conf:
    nameserver 0.0.0.0
or  nameserver 127.0.0.1
.
Tks        | <mailto:Bob_Vance at sbm.com>
BV         | <mailto:bobvance at alumni.caltech.edu>
Sr. Technical Consultant,  SBM, A Gates/Arrow Co.
Vox 770-623-3430           11455 Lakefield Dr.
Fax 770-623-3429           Duluth, GA 30097-1511