DNS transition questions

admlinux at iname.com admlinux at iname.com
Sun May 28 19:10:27 UTC 2000

Hi,
  I am in the process of making the transition from a
virtual hosted domain to a self managed full time connection. What type of time frame should I look at to making the transition? Is there any sort of check list to make this as transparent as possible. I have never run my own routable Internet servers but have configured internal dns servers before as well as resolvers. I have decided to go this way to have full control of my domain as well as so that I can host other systems where required. Previously I have read the original DNS and BIND book as well as have purchased the new one. What my plan is to do as much of the Internal testing of DNS in my own network before doing the switch. Is this reasonable? Well I sincerely appreciate all insights. How might I simulate all DNS issues so that I fully comprehend what I am getting myself into?
                            Thanks,
                            Rick