Newbie Question: Nameservers and Domain Names

Jason Mowat jmowat at attglobal.net
Fri May 26 07:23:31 UTC 2000

Greetings,

I have a (hopefully) a few simple questions.  But before I ask, I want to
let everyone know I am new to DNS and BIND, I have just started reading the
DNS & BIND book by O'Reilly, and I have scanned the newsgroup prior to
asking this question for any potential answers or insights :-)  I am also
hoping that this is the proper forum to ask this question (it was one of the
dns newsgroups with actual threads in it).

I have registered a domain name with a registrar.  Unfortunately, they won't
host the domain name (i.e. map the domain host names to IP addresses); they
tell me to get my ISP to host it.  My ISP says they will not host it unless
I jump through some expensive hoops (getting a separate business account,
etc...).

I would like to host the domain myself.  I have a Linux box that I am slowly
building, and I anticipate putting RedHat Mandrake 7.0 on it.  Now, with my
registrar (Dotster.com), they allow me to update my primary and secondary
name server information on their site.  They want an actual name, rather
than an IP address (like NS1.mydomain.com, NS2.mydomain.com, etc).

Here is my first question: If I create my own DNS server, and it has an
internet address of 123.123.123.123 (from my cable modem ISP provider), how
do I enter its domain name in the Dotster registration screen if it wants
the name rather than the IP?  The domain (mydomain.com) has been registered,
but nobody knows that I am going to be using 123.123.123.123 as my
nameserver, nor do they know that I am going to call it NS1.mydomain.com.
***I am assuming that I have to go somewhere online, and let Interknit (or
someone) know that 123.123.123.123 is going to be a primary domain
controller, and will have an IP address of 123.123.123.123, and that I want
to call it NS1.mydomain.com.***  They will then register it so whois picks
it up, and I can go about adding this name server to my Doster information
(adding the primary name server of NS1.mydomain.com).  Is this thinking
correct?  Please enlighten me if I am wrong!  Where do I go to do this
registration if that is indeed what I have to do?

The second question is that I was also thinking of running my mail server on
my DNS server (I only have a single free box).  Now, is this acceptable?
The domain is going to be very small (just a web server needs domain
access).  And, can I call the name server whatever I want (like
anysystem.mydomain.com) and still register it with whoever (like I am
assuming I have to do above)?  This question may be totally off-base if my
first question is confused.  Furthermore, how easy is it to update this
information if I want to change hostnames or IP addresses?

With a single system, I will not have a secondary DNS server.  Will my
domain information ever propagate to other servers (like the IP address to
domain name information)?  That is the purpose of the secondary DNS, I
gather, but with only 1 extra system, that is not attainable.  Still, I
would like people to be able to resolve my web servers even if MY single
primary DNS happens to be down.  Is that possible?

I guess a final question would be: where can I find additional information
regarding these questions?

I really appreciate any time that anyone spends on this question.  If any
additional information is needed, or a clarification is needed, I would be
happy to (attempt) to provide it.  Until then, I will continue reading the
DNS & BIND book and search the Internet for more information!

Cheers,
Jason Mowat