bind-8.2.3-T2B after zone transfer error

Mark.Andrews at nominum.com Mark.Andrews at nominum.com
Wed May 24 01:17:32 UTC 2000

> Received no replies to this one.  In retrospect I confounded the issue
> slightly by the twaddle at the end relating to "_"s.
>
> However we have seen another zone problem with the ac.uk zone today
> (server is currently running 8.2.3-T5B) ...
>
> May 23 15:24:13 cblslca named[80]: zone: ac.uk/IN: non-glue record below bott
> om of zone: ies.lmu.ac.uk/NS
> May 23 15:24:13 cblslca named[80]: zone: ac.uk/IN: non-glue record below bott
> om of zone: ies.lmu.ac.uk/NS
> May 23 15:24:13 cblslca named[80]: zone: ac.uk/IN: non-glue record below bott
> om of zone: mis.lmu.ac.uk/NS
> May 23 15:24:13 cblslca named[80]: zone: ac.uk/IN: non-glue record below bott
> om of zone: mis.lmu.ac.uk/NS
> May 23 15:24:14 cblslca named[80]: slave zone "ac.uk" (IN) rejected due to er
> rors (serial 2000052305)
>
> the previous serial which was ok was 2000052301.

	This is the result of a bug in the master

 990.   [bug]           we could loose track of a bottom of zone cut if the
			write buffer filled up at just the correct moment.

	I've Bcc'd jips-nosc at nosc.ja.net.

> Obviously the contents of the ac.uk zone file is a matter for the
> maintainers of ac.uk but what is more concerning to me is that after
> one of these failures to load we immediatly start to see errors for our
> own zone lookups (the server is slaving leeds.ac.uk)...
>
> May 23 15:24:34 cblslca popper[23286]: warning: can't verify hostname: gethos
> tby
> name(food-pc81.leeds.ac.uk) failed

	I really believe that this is totally unrelated to the purging of
	non-glue.  The basic code for purging of non-glue uses the same
	framework as the general purging of a zone when reload / removing
	a zone, i.e. they use the same function to detect when they have
	encountered another zone in the database.  The only way this
	function fails is if there is an invalid zone with no SOA record.

	Mark

--
Mark Andrews, Nominum Inc.
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark.Andrews at nominum.com