bind 8.2.2p5 and rfc 2181 ?

Don Stokes don at news.daedalus.co.nz
Tue May 23 22:47:17 UTC 2000

In article <000501bfc4fe$f9ad88a0$067d0f0c at laptop.coxnetwork.com>,
Duane Cox <dcox at coxnetwork.com> wrote:
>does bind 8.2.2p5 support rfc 2181 ( allow characters such as the
>underscore )
>i assume NOT and this is why bind and active directory don't get along..
>I think I fixed it by using check-names master warn

You're confused.  BIND, like any standards conformant name server,
supports binary data in DNS records.  The DNS specifications have
always specified 8-bit clean labels and data where appropriate.
The only restrictions are that each label may be up to 63 characters
in length, and the overall domain name (including '.' separating
labels) up to 255 characters.

(These restrictions are dictated by the encoding scheme used within
the DNS protocols.)

However, the main use of the DNS is to store host names and their
mappings to network addresses etc.  Host names have the restriction
that they must contain only the characters A-Z (case insensitive),
0-9 and embedded hyphens in each label.

Thus a_b.foo.com is a perfectly valid domain name.

It is *not* a valid host name.  It should therefore not be used as
the key for an A, MX or NS record, nor in the data for an NS, or
MX record (nor a CNAME pointing to an A records).

RFC 1281 does not change this in any way.  It merely repeats the
definitions found in RFC 1034.  Host names are defined in RFC 952
and modified in RFC 1123.

-- don