CNAME vs A?

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Mon May 22 20:46:48 UTC 2000

In article <6XEpOSyb=EsAYalwX4k8mXGYy7pE at 4ax.com>,
Dave Lers  <davelers at home.com> wrote:
>I posted a similar question w/ no reply, this is bugging me so I'm
>trying again.
>
>I know the following is correct
>
>dalrun.com.		IN	A	24.16.244.57
>www.dalrun.com.		IN	CNAME	dalrun.com.
>dalrun.com.		IN	MX      5	dalrun.com.
>dalrun.com.		IN	NS	dalrun.com.
>
>but I have seen the following also claimed to be correct, nslint tells
>me its not and, with one exception, I've never seen it used in the

What does nslint think is wrong?  Does it complain about multiple A records
pointing to the same address?  IMHO, this is nslint's author asserting a
personal opinion.  There's nothing technically wrong with multiple names
pointing to the same address.

>documentation I've found, yet I also haven't seen anything that says
>its a bad thing. An aye or nay with an explanation, or a pointer to
>one, would be appreciated.
>
>dalrun.com.		IN	A	24.16.244.57
>www.dalrun.com.		IN	CNAME	dalrun.com.
>mail.dalrun.com.		IN	A	24.16.244.57
>dalrun.com.		IN	MX      5	mail.dalrun.com.
>ns1.dalrun.com.		IN	A	24.16.244.57
>dalrun.com.		IN	NS      	ns1.dalrun.com.
>
>I've seen it 2x in a row now with NS records (different A records
>using the same IP). With CNAME's and aliases in Apache I'm fine (and
>sendmail looks doable the same way) but what about DNS ?, with a
>single IP it seems I'm stuck with dalrun.com. Am I missing something,
>is there an acceptable way, with a single IP, to use ns1.dalrun.com
>for my NS record?

MX and NS records shouldn't point to CNAME records, so you can't replace
the ns1 and mail records with CNAMEs in the second version.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Burlington, MA