Win2k DDNS TKEY - Format Error

Barry Finkel b19141 at achilles.ctd.anl.gov
Mon May 22 13:01:09 UTC 2000

I wrote:
>> I am looking at a sniffer trace from a Windows 2000 Professional
>> (RTM release) machine talking to a BIND 8.2.2-P5 (Solaris 5.6).
>> The Windows 2000 box is sending a TKEY record to DNS, and BIND
>> is responding with response code 1 (Format Error).  Is this something
>> that BIND does not yet support?  I searched the archives for "tsig" or
>> "tkey", but I found no hits (even though I seem to remember this topic
>> being discussed previously).  Here is one of the TKEY packets being
>> sent by W2k to DNS; I have taken the sniffer printout and added my
>> decoding based on the document
>>
>>      draft-ietf-dnsext-tkey-02.txt
>>
>> but I cannot insure that my decoding is 100% correct.

And Cricket replied:
>That's the beginning of a GSS-TSIG negotiation, which BIND does
>not support.  You should be able to disable secure dynamic update
>on the Microsoft client and have it send plain vanilla dynamic updates
>instead.

And now I reply:

1) The MS Win2k Professional machine is sending plain vanilla dynamic
   updates.  I cannot tell if it is sending the plain updates before
   or after the TKEY requests.  I will post a summary of my traces soon,
   after I have reviewed them.

2) The DRAFT tkey document above states in Section 2.5 "The Mode Field":

        A server supporting TKEY that receives a TKEY request
        with a mode it does not support returns the BADMODE
        error.

    It also states in Section 2.6 "The Error Field":

        Value  Description
        -----  -----------
          19   BADMODE

        When a TKEY Error Field is non-zero in response to a
        TKEY query, the DNS header RCODE indicates no error.
        However, it is possible if a TKEY is spontaneously
        included in a response the TKEY RR and DNS header
        error field could have unrelated non-zero error codes.

     My question is this -- Is the "Format Error" (1) return code in the
     DNS header the proper return code for BIND to be setting?  The
     return packet has only a DNS header; all four zone counts are 0.
     So there is no Answer Zone where TKEY error code would be placed.
Barry S. Finkel
Electronics and Computing Technologies Division
9700 South Cass Avenue               Facsimile:+1 (630) 252-9689
Building 221, Room B236              Internet: BSFinkel at anl.gov