Multiple TLD's

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Thu May 18 22:17:21 UTC 2000

In article <4.1.20000518205956.0091aac0 at midwales.com>,
Steve Smith  <steve at midwales.com> wrote:
>Please forgive me if I ask silly questions. I am new to DNS and need to
>learn fast. I am trying to set up a nameserver that will be used for
>parking domain names. All the names will be parked to one IP address. I
>have set it up as follows and it seems to work ok. Am I on the right track?

No.  You need to create separate zones for each domain that you host.  Each
one should have its own zone statement in named.conf.  If they're all
identical, you can point them to the same filename, which can look like:

@ IN SOA ns0.mymachine.com. hostmaster.mymachine.com. (
               ... ; usual SOA parameters
               )
  IN NS  ns0.mymachine.com.
  IN NS  ns1.mymachine.com.
  IN A   169.254.40.41

www IN CNAME @  ; if you want to support www.<domain> as well as <domain>

You would probably want to have a distinct domain for the mymachine.com
domain, so that it can have ns0 and ns1 entries that wouldn't be included
in all the other domains that you host.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Burlington, MA