Missing Something Obvious - Virtual IPs

David Cunningham newsonly at please.com
Wed May 17 08:18:21 UTC 2000

A few hints..  First I always check the man page for help before consulting
outside resources.  The man page on your system will give you insight into
the workings of the specific version of software you're running.  For
example, "man named" at the prompt gives me a detailed list of configuration
info for BIND.  Here's the excerpt you're interested in:

     -p port#    Use the specified remote port number; this is the port
number
                 to which NAMED will send queries.  The default value is the
                 standard port number, i.e., the port number returned by
get-
                 servbyname(3) for service ``domain''.

                 NOTE: Previously, the syntax ``-p port#[/localport#]'' was
                 supported; the first port was that used when contacting
                 remote servers, and the second one was the service port
bound
                 by the local instance of NAMED. The current usage is
equiva-
                 lent to the old usage without the localport# specified;
this
                 functionality can be specified with the ``listen-on''
clause
                 of the configuration file's ``options'' statement.

The config file usually defaults to /etc/named.conf.  If you set up your NS
personally then you've edited this file before.  Here's some comments I
found in my /etc/named.conf:

options {
        directory "/var/named";
        /*
         * If there is a firewall between you and nameservers you want
         * to talk to, you might need to uncomment the query-source
         * directive below.  Previous versions of BIND always asked
         * questions using port 53, but BIND 8.1 uses an unprivileged
         * port by default.
         */
        // query-source address * port 53;
};

Note the query-source syntax is spelled out.  This listen-on syntax is the
same.  Just edit your config file appropriately.

--

news:200005170613.QAA12848 at bsdi.dv.isc.org...