Missing Something Obvious - Virtual IPs

Robert A. Hayden rhayden at geek.net
Wed May 17 06:11:29 UTC 2000

I have a linux box that is my main machine and is also (now) my primary
DNS server.  The DNS IP is different than the IP of the main box so I've
aliased the new IP to it.

However, I now have the obvious problem that BIND is responding to queries
on the default IP of the machine instead of on the aliased one.  Maybe
this isn't a big deal save the "NOTIFY(SOA) from non-master
server" warnings.

Am I mistaken, but isn't their a way to get BIND to talk to and from an
aliased IP address on an ethernet sub-interface?  I looked through the
config guide on ISC but didn't have much luck with the options that looked
close.

Here's a summary layout of the system:

	x.x.x.2 	eth0	Server Default IP
	x.x.x.3		eth0:1	Alias
	x.x.x.10	eth0:2	ALIAS for ns1
	x.x.x.12	eth0:3	Another Alias

Thanks.  I feel I'm missing something obvious.