Can't list domain

Jack Aubert jaubert at cpcug.org
Sat May 6 14:58:04 UTC 2000

1.  The DNS server can be set to accept or reject requests to list the
domain (xfer).  Many public sites do not permit transfers.  I'm not running
bind DNS (and perhaps shouldn't be answering this for that reason) so I
don't know exactly what statment permits or allows it but it should be an
explicit option.

2.  LS uses TCP rather than UDP.  Frequently firewalls will let UDP through
liberally, but will only allow TCP through on a port by port basis.  If you
are doing DNS through a firewall and want to do LS you have to make sure
that the firewall lets port 53 through both on UDP and TCP.

Rick Reineman <rick at cascade.llnl.gov> wrote in message
news:Roam.SIMC.2.0.6.957487260.19599.rick at cascade.llnl.gov...
> I receive the following error from nslookup while trying to list the
entire
> domain.  Regular lookups work OK.  This is a new (and first for me)
install on