Accessing private network from the Internet

Jack Aubert jaubert at cpcug.org
Sat May 6 14:43:02 UTC 2000

I'm not really an expert... but I think the answer would be pretty much what
I'm doing with my domain chezaubert.net:

You can have your private address space listed in your DNS.  I'm using the
private class C address space (192.168.0.0) and have my five or six hosts in
the DNS with those addresses.  But nothing on the outside can ever get to
them because the addresses will not be routed by Internet routers.

But this is fine, since I don't want outsiders to be able to reach my inside
hosts directly anyway.  You have to have one outside address that will
resolve to your firewall.  The firewall should send traffic inside to
whatever server is designated to handle the protocol in question.  In my
case I have the firewall-router-computer with two NIC cards, one of which is
a public address.  The DNS has the single public address as well as the
private addresses for the other hosts.  They are unreachable from the
outside, but work from the inside.  The DNS resolves all www and mail to the
public address.  The firewall-proxy-computer forwards  www and SMTP mail to
an inside server that uses a private address and handles the DNS protocol
himself.

C'est clair?
..

Thierry <nospam_thierryb_ms at wanadoo.fr> wrote in message
news:8esnd2$oti$1 at wanadoo.fr...
> my whole network (DNS, Mail, Web, FTP servers) is composed with private IP
> addresses : 10.1.1.0
> I've setup a firewall between the Internet and my network.
>
> The mail server is running multiple domain (using vpop) so I've binded an
IP