Yahoo?

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Tue May 16 16:57:25 UTC 2000

In article <8f9q6c$j8t$1 at news.uic.com>, Jeff Dmochowski <jeffd at uic.com> wrote:
>I'm running HPUX DNS servers and am having trouble resolving
>http://www.yahoo.com on my internal DNS (forwarders to my external server).
>This is the only site, no problem with any other external sites or names or
>even things like http://my.yahoo.com . My ISP tells me their using "akamai"
>software, are there any known incompatibilities with this?

www.yahoo.com is a CNAME for www.yahoo.akadns.net, which is served by
Akamai's DNS servers; I believe they use custom software on their DNS
servers so that they'll return the address of the distribution server
closest to the querier.  When I query them, most answers look reasonable.
The only interesting things I saw were:

; <<>> DiG 8.1 <<>> yahoo.akadns.net any @za.akadns.net
; (1 server found)
;; got answer:
;; ns_initparse: Message too long
;; Total query time: 16 msec
;; FROM: tools to SERVER: za.akadns.net  209.185.188.39
;; WHEN: Tue May 16 12:51:01 2000
;; MSG SIZE  sent: 34  rcvd: 34

and:

; <<>> DiG 8.1 <<>> www.yahoo.akadns.net a @zh.akadns.net +vc
; (1 server found)
;; res options: init usevc recurs defnam dnsrch
;; res_send to server zh.akadns.net  206.132.160.37: Connection refused

So they have a problem with "ANY" queries for the domain name itself, but I
don't think that should cause problems in normal operations (there's no
reason why an application would perform such a query) and they don't allow
queries using TCP.  The latter is a violation of the strict protocol spec,
but normally UDP is only used for zone transfers and when the response is
>500 bytes, but their responses to lookups fit in that size so don't need
to be retried using UDP.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Burlington, MA