forwarding zone on BIND 8.2.2-P5

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Mon May 15 22:31:46 UTC 2000

The "cryptic" message is just a record of the query which was received by the
nameserver. From the text, one can tell a) that it was a recursive query (because
of the "+" after the "XX"), b) that it came from address 131.96.32.182, c) that it
was a PTR type query for the name "43.22.96.131.in-addr.arpa". This is normally
what one would expect to see if someone just looked up the reverse record for the
address 131.96.22.43.

Okay, so let's get to the "problem" here: lack of packet activity between your
nameserver and its forwarder. This can be explained entirely by caching. On the
first query, your nameserver forwards the query and gets an answer back, either
that the name exists, or that it doesn't. It caches that answer for some length of
time (governed by either the TTL of the record, in the case of a positive
response, or by a field in the SOA record of the zone, in the case of a negative
response). As long as the record remains in the cache, your nameserver will answer
from that cached record instead of forwarding queries upstream.

- Kevin