unapproved update from - unapproved AXFR from

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Mon May 15 17:14:10 UTC 2000

In article <Pine.LNX.4.05.10005151045070.16804-100000 at grundner.wks.dsh.at>,
Wilhelm Grundner  <grundner at debis.at> wrote:
>what i still dont know is the difference between 'update' and
>'zone-transfer' - and i also wouldn't know how to create an
>'acl' for 'updates' or is 'update' an ordinary query and
>therefor regulated by the option 'allow-query'?.

'update' refers to a client machine using the Dynamic DNS protocol to
submit a change to the domain on the master server.  'zone transfer' refers
to a slave server reading the entire zone.

You create ACLs in the same way for all of them, using the "acl"
statement.  You can then attach different ACLs to different operations by
using the "allow-transfer", "allow-update", and "allow-query" options.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Burlington, MA