Authority problem...

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Fri May 5 21:04:06 UTC 2000

In article <00050511451100.00389 at sparc1.np.rbp.com.br>,
augusto bott  <augusto.bott at via-rs.net> wrote:
>Hi All...
>

>I've posted this very same question about a month ago, but haven't caught no
>answer (or lost it), couldn't find anything on the web again....
>
>Here we go: I've setted up a bind server. It's a 4.0 freeBSD. When I run
>NSLOOKUP, asking for:
>>myowndomain.com
>
>server: unassigned
>
>Non-authoritative answer:
>....(bla bla bla)....
>
>1 - Why am I getting a non-authoritative answer from myowndomain.com (A
>records) when I've setted all right on the NIC (for primary and 2ndary
>servers)? I have an authoritative answer for otherdomain.com,
>anotherdomain.com, etc...

If a server is master for a domain and is returning a non-authoritative
answer, it means it detected a syntax error when it was loading the zone
file.  The log file will contain the line number and error message.

>2 - Why my server is unassigned? It has a host name, one primary domain, and
>many other domains pointing to it's ip (A records - always same hostname)

The "server:" line contains the information from a reverse lookup (PTR
record) of the server's address.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Burlington, MA