Silly question of reverse lookup

Thor Kottelin thor at anta.net
Fri May 12 07:27:43 UTC 2000

BIND Users Mailing List wrote:

> From: ACE in hungry <wolfdingPPP at hotmail.com>

> I have setup my host, and finally make my domain available through
> internet. Today, when I was doodle with my host, I find something that I
> can't understand, which is related reverse lookup.
>
> I have set up the reverse lookup table on my NT DNS, and if I use this
> dns as my default dns, reverse lookup of the name in my domain goes
> well. But if I change my default dns to my ISP's dns, I can't reverse
> lookup the name in my domain. I think it is normal because I don't think
> my ISP's dns will search my dns and find out what ip is corresponding to
> what name.
>
> The question is, what should I do to make reverse lookup of my domain
> correct? Should I inform my ISP about the data of reverse lookup? I know
> they provide this kind of service, but I am still planning my site, so
> it is very possible I will change the name very frequently in the near
> future. Could it be possible that my ISP will search my dns when someone
> reverse-lookup the ip I booked?

I assume you have less than a /24 network.

You could have your ISP handle your PTR entries for you, and just mail
them any updates you require. Another option would be "classless
delegation", as described in RFC 2317.

Thor

--
Plain old email is very insecure. Please make it
a little safer for yourself and me by using PGP.