need help with domain and non auth servers...

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Wed May 10 17:41:47 UTC 2000

In article <001a01bfba8d$25c84460$047d0f0c at laptop.coxnetwork.com>,
Duane Cox <dcox at coxnetwork.com> wrote:

>-
>

>> You need to use a nameserver that offers recursive service.
>> Nslookup contains a stub resolver as does the resolver library.
>>
>> Note the lack of "ra" (recursion available) in the flags section
>> below.
>>

>This nameserver "63.250.64.66" is not mine, its our local competitors
>and some of their customers can't email our customers etc, I assume this is
>why.
>There is nothing I can do about this directly I assume, besides using the
>phone correct?

Customers of that ISP should *not* be using 63.250.64.66 in their resolver
configurations.  Since it's not a recursive server, it can't be used to
look up anything other than the domains they actually host.

The ISP probably has a different set of servers that should be put into
resolver configurations.  Those customers who can't email you are
misconfigured.  It's a common mistake, since the phrase "primary DNS
server" is sometimes used to refer to a master authoritative DNS server,
and other times refers to the first DNS server in a resolver configuration.
Those people were probably told that the primary DNS server that's hosting
their domains is kingman.net66.com, and they mistakenly assumed that this
meant that they should put it in their resolver configurations (many of our
customers have made the same mistake).

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Burlington, MA