Autoupdate problem

Tchie (none) Tao ttao at macromedia.com
Tue May 9 17:53:55 UTC 2000

I am running two nameservers (BIND 8.2.2-P5 on Solaris 2.6) and am
having problems getting auto update to work reliably.

When reloading the master, the slave now invariably fails to update
automatically and simply waits the set refresh interval.  We are careful
to increment serial numbers and another machine running the same version
of BIND, compiled with the same flags, and with the same named.conf
updates automatically.  The slave does update successfully on its own,
simply not when prompted by reloading the master.

There are no firewalls between the master and slave but I'd be happy for
suggestions for traffic to snoop between the two.

I tried adding explicit notify yes and also-notify statements which
appear not to have any effect.

Conf files:
/* master nameserver */

options {
        also-notify { 192.168.1.36; };
        directory "/var/named";
        forwarders { 207.88.220.3 ; };
        named-xfer "/usr/local/sbin/named-xfer";
        notify yes;
        pid-file "/var/run/named.pid";
};

/* slave nameserver */

options {
        directory "/var/named";
        forwarders { 207.88.220.3; };
        max-ncache-ttl 60;
        named-xfer "/usr/local/sbin/named-xfer";
        query-source address * port 53;
        pid-file "/var/run/named.pid";
};

zone "[foo].com" {
        type slave;
        masters { 10.2.0.16; };
        file "slave/[foo].com";
};

/* zone file */
$tTL 3600
$ORIGIN [foo].com.
@       IN SOA  ns1.[foo].com. hostmaster.[foo].com. (
                2000050800      ; serial
                3600            ; refresh (1 hour)
                600             ; retry (10 minutes)
                604800          ; expire (1 week)
                86400 )         ; TTL (1 day)
                        IN NS           ns1.[foo].com.
                        IN NS           ns2.[foo].com.

/* notes */

ns2.[foo].com resolves properly to 192.168.1.36, the slave nameserver.
ns1.[foo].copm resolves properly the ip address of the master
nameserver.

10.2.0.16 is another interface on the master but does not resolve to the
name listed in the NS statements.

TIA

-Tchie Tao