Classless Primary DNS

Belluco, Giuseppe (Johannesburg) GBelluco at za.imshealth.com
Thu May 4 08:26:06 UTC 2000

Hello

I have been assigned a set of classless addresses to use for my site.
I would like to set up a primary DNS Server.
I have read rfc 2317 but am still not 100% clear on exactly how everything
works.
Let's say I have the ip address 196.14.192.115/28 as my Primary DNS servers
address.
The name of my nameserver is test.domain.com
Do I put a zone entry like the following one in my named.conf

zone ".192.14.196.in-addr.arpa" {
	type master;
	file "named.196.14.192";
};

and then in my named.196.14.192

$ORIGIN 113/28.192.14.196.in-addr.arpa.
@	IN	test.domain.com.	hostmaster.domain.com.	(
					0	;serial
					28800	;refresh
					14400	;retry
					3600000	;expire
					86400 )	;minimum
	IN	NS	test.domain.com.
115	PTR	test.domain.com.

And then in my named.conf I add the following entry

zone "domain.com" {
	type master;
	file "named.domain.com";
};

And in the named.domain.com

@	IN	test.domain.com.	hostmaster.domain.com.	(
					0	;serial
					28800	;refresh
					14400	;retry
					3600000	;expire
					86400 )	;minimum
	IN	NS	test

test	IN 	A	196.14.192.115

Is this right? or have I got it all wrong.
What exactly does the isp have to add on there side to make the dns on my
side work?

Any help appreciated.