Running Primary DNS server with Dynamic Assigned IP in Win2K possible?

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Tue Feb 29 23:42:38 UTC 2000

    David> I've been struggling with this for some time now, and so
    David> far have not been able to get a definitative
    David> answer. Wondering if anyone else has actually achieved
    David> using Win2K Server for Primary DNS server on ADSL if their
    David> IP is reassigned every month or two by their ISP's DHCP
    David> server? No matter what I do it looks like I cannot achieve
    David> it. I tried some suggestions submitted a month or two ago
    David> in this group, but none have worked so far. I'm curious to
    David> know if anyone in fact has actually achieved this si at
    David> least I can determine if it is more than theoretically
    David> possible.

There is no intrinsic DNS reason why a dynamically assigned address
cannot be used for a master name server: it's just another IP address
after all. However, using dynamically assigned addresses is painful
because there are administrative problems. For example, getting any
slave servers to change their configuration so they check today's
current address of the master server. That new address may also have
to be reflected in zone files. This is all too much like hard
work. Fixed addresses are generally needed for master (primary) name
servers.

There might be other W2K reasons for insisting that the master server
has to have a fixed IP address, like Active Directory synchronisation
or Registry settings. I don't know or care about these things.