Subdomain forwarding

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Tue Feb 29 19:28:59 UTC 2000

In article <89ftro$3cb$1 at dinkel.civ.utwente.nl>,
Kees Hoekzema <hoekzema at cs.utwente.nl> wrote:
>Hello,
>
>another question of my side:
>I registered a domain, the DNS works and the ip is forwarded to my pc....
>But now my next question, one of my subdomains must point to a webpage:
>i.e.
>http://onshuus.vgst.net must point to http://www.student.utwente.nl/~vgst
>how can this be done,
>what IP or CNAME i have to put in the DNS-records or what service can i
>use on my own PC?

The DNS entry should look like:

onshuus  CNAME  www.student.utwente.nl.

On the www.student.utwente.nl web server you need to configure a virtual
host onshuus.vgst.net whose DocumentRoot is ~vgst.  You'll have to check
the documentation of the web server software to find out how to configure
virtual hosts.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com