Automatic updates of hostnames?

Tilman Schmidt Tilman.Schmidt at sema.de
Mon Feb 28 15:56:15 UTC 2000

At 01:11 26.02.00 +0100, Blackbox wrote:
>We have a working DNS (BIND) and DHCP (ISC DHCP) linux box.
>We want the client host-names to automaticly be added to the DNS database
>when they get an IP from the DHCP-server (same box).
>Is this possible?

Yes, this is possible if you have BIND 8.2, and version 3 (beta) of the
ISC DHCP server generated with --with-nsupdate. Do not let the note in
ISC DHCP's README file saying there is no documentation for that feature
discourage you - actually there is, in the dhcpd.conf manpage. (I guess
the paragraph in the README has just been forgotten.)

--
Tilman Schmidt          E-Mail: Tilman.Schmidt at sema.de (office)
Sema Group Koeln, Germany       tilman at schmidt.bn.uunet.de (private)