Newbie Mayday

Adam Pentland adam at atnet.net.au
Mon Feb 28 04:30:40 UTC 2000

Hi all,

I have just inherited a bind DNS setup that I know little about. Hopefully a
kind soul out there will lend me a (gentle) hand figuring
my problem out. All replies are TIA!

I have a primary and a secondary DNS server. If I nslookup the primary I can
resolve the domain. The secondary cannot resolve it - it displays a list of
..com.au root servers instead.

I have made the following entries:

named.conf on primary

zone "coastlinealarms.com.au" {
type master;
file "/etc/bind/coastlinealarms.com.au";
};

/etc/bind/coastlinealarms.com.au  on primary

coastlinealarms.com.au. IN      SOA     gorbweb.golden-orb.com.
admin.golden-orb.com. (
                        2000022803
                        10800
                        3600
                        432000
                        38400 )
coastlinealarms.com.au. IN      NS      gorbweb.golden-orb.com.
coastlinealarms.com.au. IN      NS      mail.golden-orb.com.
coastlinealarms.com.au. IN      MX      10 mail.atnet.net.au.
coastlinealarms.com.au. IN      A       210.8.78.130
www                     IN      A       210.8.78.130
mail                    IN      A       210.8.78.132

named.conf on secondary

zone "coastlinealarms.com.au" {
type slave;
file "/etc/bind/coastlinealarms.com.au";
masters { "210.8.78.175"; };
};

Now with everything I have read, this is all I shold have to do. It is all I
have done. Have I missed anything? Are there any issues anyone out there can
see?

Many thanks,