DNS Redirect & RD flag

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Fri Feb 25 16:13:21 UTC 2000

In article <49256890.0018C238.00 at mail.dacomst.com>,  <scyoon at dacom.net> wrote:

>From: À±¼ºÃ¶ 4267 at DACOM on 2000-02-25 01:25 PM
>
>To:   bind-users at isc.org
>cc:
>Subject:  DNS Redirect & RD flag
>
>  To serve recursion service at DNS server B regardless of the RD field of
>  received DNS packet,
>  I added the line, "hp->rd = 1;", in the source code* of Bind 8.2.2.
>
>      * dispatch_message(), the function in ns_main.c
>
>  As the result, two cases is working well.
>
>  But, I wonder if this change affects other functions of BIND (Does  it only
>  increase Server B's load ?)

I can't think of any serious problems off the top of my head.

>  and I'd like to know how to set RD flag in BIND 8.2.2 and another method to
>  resolve my problem.

Why don't you configure A as a forwarder?  In fact, since the switch
redirects all DNS packets, you can put *any* address in the forwarders
statement, so you don't have to be concerned with keeping its configuration
in sync with B's address.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com