BIND4 master BIND8 slave?

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Tue Feb 22 20:36:52 UTC 2000

In article <0309fe58.a452b5d4 at usw-ex0105-038.remarq.com>,
johan  <mrplejfullNOmrSPAM at excite.com.invalid> wrote:
>Is it possible to run a slave DNS with BIND8 when the
>master DNS has BIND4??

Yes.  Our servers are all BIND 8.1.2, and I expect that at least half our
customers are running BIND 4 on their masters that we slave off of.  We
haven't had any problems that I could attribute to version compatibility.

I think there could be an issue with a BIND 8.2.2 slave.  8.2.2 is more
strict about "CNAME and other data" errors; previous versions logged
warnings but accepted it, but I believe 8.2.2 will reject these zones.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com