MX with alias

Cricket Liu cricket at acmebw.com
Tue Feb 15 05:11:55 UTC 2000

Hi, Jade.

> I just upgrade from 8.1.2 to 8.2.2 and found that a zone won't load
> because an MX record also has a CNAME record (it used to generate an
> error message with 8.1.2 but continued on).  Is there a way to allow
> this without deleting the alias?

No, there's not.  "CNAME and other data" is now a hard error.  You
should fix it by either deleting the CNAME or attaching the MX record
to the target of the alias.

I'm not sure why you'd want to allow this, since I'd guess the results
you'd get when looking up MX records could be unpredictable.

cricket

Acme Byte & Wire
cricket at acmebw.com
www.acmebw.com

Attend the next Internet Software Consortium/Acme Byte & Wire
DNS and BIND class!  See www.acmebw.com/training.htm for
the schedule and to register for upcoming classes.