cannot resolve domain.com in nslookup

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Mon Feb 14 23:03:55 UTC 2000

On Tue, Jan 25, 2000 at 10:10:08PM -0500, Damon Haas wrote:
> ok- I posted earlier and this could be the problem... I want people in my
> company to be able to receive their mail ad user at domain.com instead of
> user at host.domain.com when I use nslookup to check host.domain.com it comes
> up just time with the IP address. when I use nslookup to check domain.com it
> comes back as a non-existent host/domain.  is this correct or is this an
> error?
>
> Damon Haas

If you do an 'nslookup domain.com' and you have not defined an "A"
record [the default for 'nslookup'] for "domain.com", then the only
correct answer is to return a non-existent domain.  After all, you
never gave it one.

My approach to this would be to have an MX record for "domain.com" that
points to a host running 'sendmail' or 'postfix'.  On that host, I
would just tell it to accept e-mail for user at domain.com, and to send
out e-mail as if it were coming from user at domain.com [instead of
user at host.domain.com].

The other approach, which to me has some problems in a multi-host
domain, is to have your mail server named simply "domain.com".  But,
these days, people seem to want to give that "name" to their Web
servers.

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B