Help on Master/Slave NS

Mark.Andrews at nominum.com Mark.Andrews at nominum.com
Mon Feb 14 12:30:15 UTC 2000

	Firstly the zone statements are normally part of named.conf
	and not seperate files.  The comments below assume that they
	have been merged.

	Secondly when you ask for help don't edit the files as we
	don't know which errors you introduced during editing and
	which already existed prior to editing.

> I'm trying to setup a backup name server for my domain.  Below is my
> configuration files.  Right now the slave server won't update when I
> change the serial on the master server.  How do I force an update or
> while telnetted into the slave request the new zone file.  Basically I
> need help on the subject.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Aaron
>
> Master NS
> /etc/named.conf
> ----------------
>   options {
>           directory "/var/named";
>
>           // Uncommenting this might help if you have to go through a
>           // firewall and things are not working out:
>
>           // query-source address * port 53;
>   };
>
> /var/named/mydomain.com
> ---------------------------
>   zone "mydomain.com" {
>           notify yes;
>           type master;
>           file "mydomain.com";
>           allow-transfer {1.2.3.4; localhost}

		Missing semi-colon after localhost.
>   };
>                                      ^---  IP of slave NS
>

> Slave NS
> /etc/named.conf
> ----------------
>   options {
>           directory "/var/named";
>
>           // Uncommenting this might help if you have to go through a
>           // firewall and things are not working out:
>
>           // query-source address * port 53;
>   };
>
> /var/named/mydomain.com
> ---------------------------
>   zone "mydomain.com" {
>           notify yes;
>           type slave;
>           file "mydomain.com";
>           masters {4.3.2.1.};

	This should read "masters {4.3.2.1;};"

	If you have an allow-tranfer on the master the slave should have
	one here as well.

>   };                        ^----  IP of primary NS
>

> NS part of my zone file
>
> NS      ns              ; Inet Address of name server
> NS      1.2.3.4    ; Backup Name Server
>
> ns         A      4.3.2.1

	NS records take HOSTNAMES not IP ADDRESSES.

	Mark
--
Mark Andrews, Nominum Inc. / Internet Software Consortium
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark.Andrews at nominum.com