nslookup pre-pending domain?

Ken Steven K.Steven at alkazar.net
Fri Feb 11 17:25:24 UTC 2000

>>nslookup has suddenly started pre-pending a domain name to the namserver
>>domain and consequently returns the local machine. Irritating eh?
>>
>>for example:
>>
>>nslookup freeserve.co.uk returns:
>>
>>server: myserver.co.uk
>>address: 12.12.12.12
>>
>>Name: freeserve.co.uk.myserver.co.uk
>>address: 12.12.12.12
>>
>>I can't see anything I have changed recently, and ideas why this should be
>>happening?
>
>Did you add a wildcard A record?

I have always had a wildcard A record and it has worked fine until now.

Another thing which has shown up, nslookup appears to be being "selective"
in the domains it prepends. For example,
nslookup freeserve.co.uk returns
freeserve.co.uk.alkazar.co.uk
yet
nslookup carmail.com returns the proper output as does
nslookup myhome.com

It appears to be happening at random and not connected to any particular
domain (I chose freeserve simply because it was a name which jumped
to mind unfortunately). The other two domains I mention were again simply
chosen at random (nslookup returned the domain prepended to my domain
when I did a lookup on microsoft as well).

Ken.