selective recursion in named operation?

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Feb 9 19:54:58 UTC 2000

I don't understand the requirement. If the server is authoritative for a
zone, it doesn't need to recurse to resolve names in the zone. If you
simply turn off recursion, it seems that you'll get the behavior you're
looking for, i.e. the server will answer from authoritative zones, and
give referrals for non-authoritative zones.

Or is there some reason why a resolver would care whether the
RA (recursion available) is set in the header of the response packet? I
can't imagine why.

Or, a third alternative, when you say "... query comes from the zone
..." perhaps you mean the reverse lookup for the client's IP is a name
in a forward zone for which the server is authoritative (????) You can
restrict recursion by client IP address range, but not by the reverse
lookup of the client IP. I don't think you'd want the nameserver to be
performing all of those extra reverse lookups anyway...

- Kevin