bind 4.x - nslookup failed !?

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Mon Feb 7 20:29:33 UTC 2000

Amadeus Mozart wrote:

> Hi
>
> i'm using bind 4.x on suse linux 6.3. i think that the dns-server is running
> well, but when i use nslookup on my linux machine i get an error :
> ------------------
> *** Can't find server name for address 127.0.0.1: Server failed
> *** Default servers are not available
> Why?

You apparently haven't configured any name resolution for your loopback
address. In the absence of setting up loopback, you might be able to get around
this nslookup misfeature by starting it up in interactive mode with some other
server which has valid reverse resolution, e.g. "nslookup -
otherserver.example.com", and then using the "server" command to switch to
127.0.0.1.

Or, better yet, use dig instead of nslookup.

- Kevin