"HIDDEN PRIMARY" -HOWTO

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Mon Feb 7 19:23:25 UTC 2000

In article <389F0DF7.CE553610 at stg2.siemens.de>,
Uwe Zirpner  <Uwe.Zirpner at stg2.siemens.de> wrote:
>Hy folks,
>
>How do you setup a "HIDDEN PRIMARY" for a specific
>domain ???

Don't list the primary server in the NS records for the domain.

>How does the zone files look like on both primaries ???

What do you mean by "both primaries"?  There's just one primary.  All the
other servers are secondaries, and they're listed in the NS records.

>Can anybody become a "hidden primary" ???
>Where can I find more details ???

A hidden primary is just a primary server whose existence isn't advertised
in NS records, so no one will send queries to it.  The secondary servers
have its IP address in their configuration files, so they do zone transfers
from it.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com