DHCP and Dynamic DNS

Cinense, Mark macinen at sandia.gov
Fri Feb 4 22:14:19 UTC 2000

Greetings all,

	My question for today is:  Does your network environment require you
to run DHCP in order for DDNS to work.  My NT server manager is telling me
that the W2K machines, either workstations or servers will dynamically
update the nameserver,(we are running BIND 8.2.2-P5 on Solaris 7).  I have
added an allow-update substatement, and yet still receiving "Error
processing update packet (NXRRSET)".  All the publications that I have read,
and was given to me, all assume that you are running DHCP in your
environment.  Well we do not run DHCP, and do not know if, and when we will
be doing so.  Also something strange is happening in my named.conf file.
The line that contains ' zone "." { ' returns a syntax error in the message
file when I restart the name daemon.  What could be causing this?  I have
checked it over and over, and with 2 different sets of eyes, and still can't
find out why it returns that error.

zone "." {
	type hint;
	file "db.local";
};

	Any help is greatly appreciated...

Mark A Cinense
Dept. 4613 / Laboratories Computing and Messaging Group
Bldg. 880 / D6-F
MS 0805
Ph. 505.844.8602
Pager 540.3092