Apache named-based virtualhost and DNS II

Leo Vegoda bind at bind.org
Thu Feb 3 08:14:57 UTC 2000

On Thu, Feb 03, 2000 at 01:33:41AM -0600, in message <gaam4.1028$FY6.83362 at news.uswest.net>, Bruce Ordway (ordway at uswest.net) wrote: Re: Apache named-based virtualhost and DNS II

[...]

> So I'm starting to get the picture now, but it just keeps bringing up more
> questions. Does the average ISP have a zone file created for every domain it

It depends on what services they are running. At my last job there was
one service for which all domains had exacttly the same records. It
made sense to point all those domains at a static single zone file.

That being said - there were many thousands of zones on the name
servers.

> hosts? How would you ftp into one of these to update your web pages?

You ftp top the location of the directory used to serve your domain.

For instance:

/home/leo/htdocs/dom1
/home/leo/htdocs/dom2

That config is done in Apache and you could look here for a sample:

<URL:http://www.apache.org/docs/vhosts/examples.html#name?

Regards,

--
leo