Other OS vs. NT

Mark postmaster at lynxus.net
Tue Feb 1 07:45:08 UTC 2000

Hey,

I administrate about 270 domains for the ISP I work for.  We use a
combination of Bind8 servers on Linux and FreeBSD platforms and the DNS that
comes out of the box with NT.  Our NT servers have either SP3 or SP5, though
we carefully avoided putting SP4 on anything.  Overall, I'd say that Bind8
is absurdly superior to NT DNS.

Here are my primary bitches about NT DNS:

0. (I don't like GUI-only software.)
1.  NT DNS in bind-compatibility mode is crippled, especially in terms of
security.
2.  NT DNS does fine delivering data on zones for which it is authoritative,
but...  it frequently has problems serving cached information...
3.  ..probably because... it frequently corrupts its cache file, requiring
that the server be shut down and the cache restored from backup.  This is
independent of the previous problem.
4.  NT DNS fails more often than not when acting as a recursive server
(looking up info not held in local files).
5.  NT DNS logs to NT's system log, which is an unmitigated bloody mess.

The primary advantage of NT DNS is the same as all things Microsoft: you can
still accomplish something akin to what you had in mind without any clue
whatsoever what you're actually doing.

Overall, I'd say the difference here reflects exactly the general breakdown
between NT and Unix:  NT is great, maybe even sometimes superior, for
corporate LANs, but it should stay the hell off the Internet!

--
Mark Tippetts
Postmaster, DNS Admin