MX problem: loopback

Andy Shull ashull at synctech.net
Fri Apr 28 21:02:16 UTC 2000

Do you have your mail server configured to accept mail from xxx.com. For
instance if running sendmail enter the domain in the sendmail.cf file.

Regards,

Andy Shull               ashull at synctech.net
SyncTech.Net         http://www.synctech.net

BioScan®     Environmental Simulator Systems
ifino®Server        Internet Machine Control
SyncTechISP®       Internet Service Provider

* THE INFORMATION TRANSMITTED IS INTENDED   *
* ONLY FOR THE PERSON OR ENTITY TO WHICH    *
* IT IS ADDRESSED AND MAY CONTAIN           *
* CONFIDENTIAL AND/OR PRIVILEGED MATERIAL.  *
* ANY REVIEW, RETRANSMISSION, DISSEMINATION *
* OR OTHER USE OF, OR TAKING OF ANY ACTION  *
* IN RELIANCE UPON, THIS INFORMATION BY     *
* PERSONS OR ENTITIES OTHER THAN THE        *
* INTENDED RECIPIENT IS PROHIBITED. IF YOU  *
* RECEIVED THIS IN ERROR, PLEASE CONTACT    *
* THE SENDER AND DELETE THE MATERIAL FROM   *
* ANY COMPUTER.                             *

> From: mwhitset at phybertek.com
> Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2000 00:50:27 -0400
> To: Rainer Collet <rain_c1 at web.de>, comp-protocols-dns-bind at moderators.isc.org
> Subject: Re: MX problem: loopback
>
> Sorry,  I see your A record.. What was I thinking..
>
> -Mark
> mwhitset at phybertek.com wrote:
>
>> Don't point your MX line to a CNAME...
>>
>> -Mark Whitsett
>>
>> Rainer Collet wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I am very new to DNS, so please can you help me with the following problem?
>>> Nameserver and mailserver runs on the same host. I have written this
>>> zonefile:
>>> --snip
>>> $ORIGIN xxx.com.
>>>
>>> @   1D IN SOA @ nsmaster.xxx.com (
>>> 2000042800 ; serial
>>> 3H  ; refresh
>>> 15M  ; retry
>>> 1W  ; expire
>>> 1D )  ; minimum
>>>
>>> 1D IN NS ns1.xxx.com.
>>> 1D IN NS ns2.xxx.com.
>>> 1D IN A  195.4.253.14
>>> 1D IN MX 1 baby
>>>
>>> baby   1D IN A  195.4.253.14
>>>
>>> ns1   1D IN CNAME baby
>>> ns2   1D IN CNAME baby
>>> mail   1D IN CNAME baby
>>> ftp   1D IN CNAME baby
>>> www   1D IN CNAME baby
>>> news   1D IN CNAME baby
>>> --snip
>>>
>>> and I allways get back this errormessage:
>>>
>>> 554 MX list fo xxx.com. points back to baby.xxx.com
>>> 553 xxx.xom. config error: mail loops back to me (MX problem?)