bind question with internal and external dns

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Fri Apr 28 16:36:44 UTC 2000

In article <39098DBA.AA7C5751 at easics.be>,
Carlo Corthouts  <carlo at easics.be> wrote:

>hi,
>
>I have an internal dns running for queries for our domain from our lan
>and an external dns for queries about our domain from outside our lan
>(internet).
>
>When doing a nslookup query about our domain (domainname.zone)we get
>following :
>
>Internal dns : server.domain.zone can't find domain.zone : Non-existent
>host/domain
>External dns : gives correct response.

It sounds like your internal DNS server doesn't have an A record for
"domain.zone".  Remember, even though you may have forwarding configured on
the internal server (to allow it to look up remote domains) it will never
forward queries in the domain.zone domain, because it's authoritative for
that domain.

>when we try looking up the webserver www.domain.zone which is behind a
>firewall
>
>Internal dns : correct response, but with a reverse lookup with IP we
>get unknown.domain.zone
>External dns : correct response.

Sounds like the internal server doesn't have reverse DNS set up for your
internal addresses.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Burlington, MA