Host/domain lost ....

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Thu Apr 27 17:48:27 UTC 2000

In article <16b49f04.5280f9cb at usw-ex0103-023.remarq.com>,
Martin S. <martin.skjoldebrandNOmaSPAM at forumsyd.se.invalid> wrote:
>In article <_UGN4.88$my3.2468 at burlma1-snr2>, Barry Margolin
><barmar at genuity.net> wrote:
>>In article <00461c76.673fc980 at usw-ex0105-034.remarq.com>,
>>Martin S. <martin.skjoldebrandNOmaSPAM at forumsyd.se.invalid>
>wrote:
>>>I am working through the DNS-Howto.
>>>After managing a working Primary DNS as far as p 14 in the
>>>tutorial I have now lost the linux.bogus zone. Any query for
>>>linux.bogus results in nslookup reporting that the domain/host
>>>doesn't exist.
>>
>>Didn't you just ask a similar question in another thread?
>
>I did and I fixed the problem.
>The point is that _after_ I fixed the problem and seemed to be
>having a working caching server I began configuring a primary DNS
>server. I got it working (not quite apparently as witnessed in
>another reply) to the point that it _did_ answer queries about my
>linux.bogus domain. The point is that I just added more info to
>the zone file (pz/linux.bogus) as in the tutorial and it _then_
>stopped finding the linux.bogus domain. I did not change anything
>else.

Well, without seeing the zone file, it's impossible to tell what you did
wrong.  If I had to guess, it would be that the file started out looking
like:

@ IN SOA ...
  IN NS ...
  IN A ...

and you put something in between the NS and A records.  As a result, the A
record no longer applies to the domain name, it's being applied to the new
name you added.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Burlington, MA