non-autoritative answer

Brian Keves - NCS IEI Contractor keves at synopsys.com
Thu Apr 27 02:55:34 UTC 2000

Jack,

A Non-Authoritative answer is simply saying that the DNS server you queried
answered your request from it's own cache instead of having to go to the
"authoritative" server.

Try it again with a totally new request. The first answer will be
Authoritative and the
next time you make the same request it will be Non-Authoritative. This
simply means the DNS server you are pointing to in your resolv.conf has now
gone out and gotten the information and is simply handing the same response
out to you again. This is by design and it is working just fine.

Brian
--
At 07:26 PM 4/26/00 -0700, Jack Watts wrote:
>When I query my server with NSLOOKUP I get "non-autoritative answer" for
some sites,
>when other non-autoritative servers for that domain do give me
"non-autoritative answer" message.

Brian Keves                    E-Mail:   keves at synopsys.com
Senior Unix Architect          Phone:    +1.650.584.4461
Network Computing Services     Cell:     +1.650.333.1223 #112
Synopsys, Inc.                 Fax:      +1.650.584.4343
700 East Middlefield Road      WWW:      http://www.synopsys.com
M/S C-11                       Physical: C1.136A
Mountain View, CA 94043-4033   "Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand