CNAMES to different domain

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Wed Apr 26 18:44:42 UTC 2000

In article <B52C957F.BA65%thomas at neweve.com>,
Thomas Deliduka  <thomas at neweve.com> wrote:
>My Datacenter recommended that since I have about 100 domains which point to
>one real domain, they suggested just to make a CNAME to the main domain,
>like this:
>
>dialamattress.com. IN CNAME mattress.com.
>
>Previously I was using bind 4.9.7 on NT and it seemed to work fine, now
>moving to bind 8 on linux, the messages file gives me error messages and all
>these domains are being ejected. Any suggestions?

Get a new datacenter, preferably one that knows the rules of DNS.

You can't have a CNAME record with the same name as your domain, because it
violates the rule against a name having both a CNAME record and other
records.  Since the domain is required to have SOA and NS records, that
precludes it having CNAME records.

You could use CNAME records for www.dialamattress.com, but not for
dialamattress.com.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net