problem with mail from aol.com

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Apr 26 02:00:53 UTC 2000

You have only 1 nameserver serving tmx.com.ni. If that nameserver gets
temporarily overloaded, or the link to it gets congested, then DNS servers
may time out trying to resolve data in the zone. It's quite possible that
AOL's servers are less forgiving than most. You could try bitching to
AOL about a) timing out too quickly trying to resolve the name, and
b) treating a host name lookup as a permanent failure for email, but given
the size of AOL these days, I doubt it'll do any good.

You should really have multiple nameservers for your domain. And you should
locate them as diversely as possible on the Internet, to help prevent some of
the network-related issues. I believe there are many providers who offer
"secondary service" at a reasonable price, but I can't really recommend any
since our secondary service comes from our network service provider and
I don't know if they sell that as a separate service.

- Kevin