$INCLUDE

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Mon Apr 24 19:07:21 UTC 2000

On Mon, Apr 24, 2000 at 01:49:34PM -0500, Stephens, Bill wrote:
> 	This might not be too practical, it sounds like I would have to
> create a CNAME for each host (currently over 10,000 records in the
> production zone).  I did run into this though, according to the DNS & Bind
> book:

You didn't read the "$GENERATE" docs, did you?  10,000 records could be
just ONE LINE in your static file.  ;->  Or a few.

e.g.,

$GENERATE 001-999 us$s00 CNAME us$s00.dyn	Refer dynamic names

I don't believe you can call $GENERATE on $GENERATE ...  ;-)

This may actually not work.  I think "$" will be resolved to, e.g., "1"
instead of "001".  But a halfway decent editor, much less a simple PERL
or C or shell script, should be able to generate your 10,000 lines
correctly in a second or two.

> 	With that in mind, as long as I didn't create an SOA record for
> "dyn.bubba.pvt" and
> 	delegate it, could I create the following CNAME record in the
> "dyn.bubba.pvt" zone and expect
> 	us381s04.dyn.bubba.pvt to also resolve to us381s04.bubba.pvt?
>
> 	bubba.pvt. IN CNAME dyn.bubba.pvt.

Absolutely not.

What this says is, "There is no such zone as bubba.pvt.  If you want
any information whatsoever relating to bubba.pvt, you will first have
to look up dyn.bubba.pvt."  Now this might make sense if the latter
domain were, e.g., "gump.pvt".  But it isn't.

Note also that a domain that appears to the left of a CNAME declaration
may NOT appear to the left on any other record whatsoever.  This
includes SOA, NS, A, etc.

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B