RR for win2k

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Thu Apr 20 02:11:36 UTC 2000

On Wed, Apr 19, 2000 at 06:54:23PM -0700, Tim Maestas wrote:
> This is a limitation of nslookup in interactive mode.  It doesn't like
> underscores.
>
> -Tim

Incorrect.  'Nslookup' doesn't care.

Underscores are illegal in host names.  If the original questioner
checks his log files, I suspect that he will find that 'named' will not
accept this name.  But even more so:

> On Wed, 19 Apr 2000, Art Houle wrote:
> > $origin xyz.tld
> > _sites    IN    A    global-catalog.xyz.tld.

"A" records must have IP addresses on the right hand side.  If you are
using the name [without underscores] as an alias for another name, this
should be a "CNAME" record.

> > A nslookup query responds with 'can't find _sites.xyz.tld: Non-existent
> > hosts/domain',  but it works if I remove the underbar.  Is there a config
> > option that fixes this?

Yes, there is.  But it can't force all other name servers to accept
this illegal name.

The option is:
       [ check-names ( master | slave | response ) ( warn | fail | ignore); ]
e.g., if you say:

	check-names master warn;

then it will be accepted but warn you of the error of your ways.

The defaults are:
	check-names master fail;
	check-names slave warn;
	check-names response ignore;