NT vs. Unix DNS

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Apr 19 23:38:51 UTC 2000

Daniel Baird wrote:

> What are you on about? The ISC released a new version that had the problems
> fixed, and before most people even knew the problem existed. There was no
> need for any work around.

Has Microsoft even released the "service pack" which they recommend as the way
to fix their memory-leak bug?

> The only problem with open source is that you need to be a bit cluey to use
> it. That, and the fact that most big companies want a support contract to go
> along with everything, and a company to sue if it all goes horribly wrong.

Big companies are slowly learning their lesson on this, I think. When the stuff
just *works*, the "who can we sue?" question becomes rather academic. A few
years back, we took out a support contract on BIND, and it ended up being a
total waste of money. We haven't repeated that mistake.

- Kevin