Help !

Mark.Andrews at nominum.com Mark.Andrews at nominum.com
Tue Apr 18 01:15:15 UTC 2000

> I have recently pluggd my own suse 6.2 server permanently into the net and
> have just registered wulfrun.net to poing to it.
> The problem is that although I'm not sure when I purchased the domain name
> that I should have pointed the two nameservers to another computer rather
> than my own.
>
> I believe I should have pointed the two nameservers to someone like
> www.granitecanyon.com

	The nameservers for the zones should be machines configured
	to serve the zone data.  Whether you use your own machines
	to do this or have other machines configured to do this is
	your decision.  There is no "right" answer to your question.

	Once you have made your decision, update the the delegation
	with Network Solutions.  If you decide to not have
	ns1.wulfrun.net and/or ns2.wulfrun.net server the zone
	officially (listed in NS records) I would submit host update
	form which removes them from the whois database or else
	you may have problems in the future when you renumber these
	machines.

> Could someone please tell me how to point my domain name to my IP address.

	Add appropriate A records.

	I would also suggest that you get a copy of "DNS and BIND",
	third edition, as it will answer most of your questions.
	There are links off www.isc.org which will allow you to get
	the ISBN and/or order the book.

	Mark

--
Mark Andrews, Nominum Inc. / Internet Software Consortium
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark.Andrews at nominum.com