DNS running on a IP alias doesn't work!! Please help!

Didi emailtodidi at gmx.ch
Mon Apr 17 16:23:07 UTC 2000

Hi all!
On AIX 4.3.1. I want to setup a DNS-server. The DNS-server should run on

a alias IP-adress configuered with "ifconfig en0 alias <IP-Adress up>".
With "nslookup" on the host everything worked fine, but if I want to
ping a hostname defined in the DNS-database the name will never be
resolved!

With "iptrace" I found the problem:
In the first questionpart the destination for that DNS-Question is the
alias IP-Adress of the host. So that part is ok! In the Answerpart the
original
hostadress answers to the DNS-question and not the alias IP-Adress! If
the client, who asked for the DNS-resolve, compares the two IP-Adress,
he will dismiss the answer, because the IP-Adress, who gives the answer,
is not the same as the IP-Adress of the DNS-Server, he was asking.

So here my questions:
How can I run a DNS-Server on a alias defined IP-Adress? Has somebody
experience with DNS running on a alias defined IP-Adress? Thanks in
advance!!
Didi

P.S. Please also answer "cc" to my email-adress!
Dieter Ludwig
Bedag Informatik
Engehaldenstrasse 12
3012 Bern